Flatex Review 2020
Flatex is a German investment company and online Forex/CFD broker that owns a bank. Regulated by BaFin, the broker offers thousands of assets for trading on modern platforms; WebFiliale, Flatex Trader 2.0, Guidants, CFD2GO app, etc. Morning news, SMS signals, social trading and trader education is available to all clients. Despite this they do not have the in demand MetaTrader platforms and are primarily catering to the German market.
Flatex Review 2020, Pros & Cons
- Reputable broker that is regulated & has a bank
- Social trading via Wikifolio
- Access to trade on multiple platforms available on the web, desktop & mobile devices
- Comprehensive education package for new traders
- No live chat option
- Limited payment options
- No MetaTrader platform
- Limited account currency options
- Clients from the USA & many other countries not accepted
In this detailed Flatex review, our online broker research team have covered some of the most important aspects for you to consider when choosing the best broker for your online trading needs.
Flatex is not ranked in our best forex brokers, best stock brokers, best cfd brokers, best crypto brokers or best online brokers categories. You can use our free broker comparison tool to compare online brokers including Flatex.
Flatex Review: Summary
Flatex is a leading German online broker as well as financial investment firm. Originally founded in 1999 as PRE.IPO AG, but was renamed Flatex in 2006. Flatex AG is publicly traded on the Stuggart exchange. Flatex AG deals in securities, credit services, brokerage as well as banking services. The broker boasts of over 200,000 satisfied clients from different counties.
The broker offers thousands of assets for trading on multiple platforms. Flatex states that the counterparty and market maker to all CFD trades is Société Générale; which is a top European financial services firm and investment bank with head office in Paris.
In appreciation for its brokerage services, Flatex has been honored with awards for excellence. For consecutive years, it won the ‘Best online broker in Germany’ as given by the Handelsblatt awards. Flatex was voted the ‘2017 Funds & Certificates Broker of the year’. This award was given by Brokerwahl.de but the result was voted by traders. Flatex was been declared the ‘2016 Best Online Broker’ by Brkervergleich.de.
Flatex Review: Regulation
Flatex is regulated by Germany’s Federal Financial Supervisory Authority (BaFin). This regulation gives it license to operate across the EU region due to the MiFID II passport.
Clients’ funds are held with the Flatex Bank AG; which is a licensed bank. The broker has also implemented the Secured Socket Layer (SSL) technology which protects all clients’ transactions from being compromised by hackers. The identities of all clients are verified using a number of methods which includes Video verification, POSTIDENT coupon, etc.
Flatex Review: Countries
Flatex mainly accept clients from the EU zone. Clients from USA and many other countries are not accepted. Some Flatex broker features and products mentioned within this Flatex review may not be available to traders from specific countries due to legal restrictions.
Flatex Review: Trading Platforms
This is a forex and CFD trading platform developed by Flatex. It is web based and therefore runs on every operating system provided that it has a web browser installed. It requires no additional software downloads or installations. It is also available as Android and iOS apps.
Here are some of the Flatex platform features:
- Account management options including account deposits.
- Multiple order types including stop orders, market orders, OCO, etc.
- The watch list which displays the assets quotes in real time.
- Order book shows all open orders as well as the history.
- Up to 5 watch lists can be created to display only the trader’s favourite assets.
- Supports one-click trading.
Flatex Trader 2.0
This is a professional platform from Flatex in partnership with TeleTrader Software GmbH. It can be downloaded and installed on Windows desktop computers. The Flatex Trader 2.0 platform is the basic package and it is not free. It costs €15 per month though clients can test the software for 4 weeks for free. The premium package is the TeleTrader Workstation Software which costs €39 per month. It comes with enhanced features and functions.
Here are some of the features of the Flatex Trader 2.0 platform:
- Fully customizable with complex tools and functions.
- Assets quotes displays in real time.
- Supports alarms and signals.
- Full charts options and technical indicators for analysis.
- Multiple order types including order placement from various views.
- Clients can subscribe for real-time courses.
This is a user-friendly mobile app from Flatex available on Android and iOS. It is designed for forex and CFD trading on the go.
Features of the app CFD2GO App include:
- Account management; shows account balance, margin and history.
- Order management including market orders, limit, if-done, etc.
- News update is available.
- Charting capabilities and technical analysis.
- Clients can create new watch lists to suit their preferences.
This is a third party online trading platform available to Flatex clients. It has basic and Pro versions. This platform is used to monitor, analyze, discuss and enter trade positions on the financial markets.
Here are some of the Guidant platform features:
- Real time news about finance, business and stocks is streamed on the platform.
- PRO users can set up to 750 alerts per month.
- Customizable watch lists to suit the trader’s favourite assets.
- Real-time charts, quotes and analytical tools.
- Expert technical analysis from over 100 financial analysts including the option to participate in the discussions.
- Clients can connect to other users from the platform.
Flatex Review: Trading Tools
Flatex Morning News
This service is available through emails to subscribed clients. The first market overview is sent around 8:30 am. It covers a technical analysis of the German stocks and the EURUSD analysis. Updates of the markets events follows in the next email. Flatex also sends monthly newsletter to clients who subscribe for it. It contains information on all new products and other interesting piece of information.
Flex Credits & Lombard Loan
Flatex clients can get credit facilities form Flatex Bank AG up to a maximum of €100,000. The loan amount depends on the client’s portfolio size.
Lombard loan is given to clients at competitive interest rates. It offers full flexibility for repayment. Clients can get up to €250,000 depending of the size of their portfolio.
Flatex has partnered with Sms-Signals; a company that provides trading signals via SMS. The signals are generated by professionals using complex strategies and analyses. Clients who subscribe to this service receive 3-4 SMS signals every week. It is available for 4 weeks free trial after which the clients are required to subscribe. There are no guarantees on the results that these signals will produce and you should have a clear understanding of the risks involved when trading online.
This is a form of social trading platform where traders can invest in wikifolio certificates of other traders. The expert trader is rewarded by a performance fee from the profits of the investors. This service is suitable for new traders who wish to invest rather than trade themselves. Wikifolio.com is a popular European social trading website. Again, it must be emphasised that there are no guarantees of results or performance when investing online.
Flatex Review: Education
Flatex constantly organizes webinars and workshops. The webinars are scheduled almost every week on the website. It focuses on training, technical analysis and important tips to help traders to become successful. The webinars are grouped into Platform and Strategy Webinars.
This is a weekly stock market update presented by two Flatex analysts. The video presentation comes up every Friday and it focuses on the major news that moved the markets within the week. It also looks at upcoming events and likely market behaviour. Closing Bell is presented in the German language.
This eBook is from ‘HypoVereinsbank onemarkets’ in conjunction with Flatex. The eBook is available upon free registration. It uses interactive trainings, practical video recordings and self assessment test. It is divided into 5 parts as follows:
- Part 1: Five tips to establish successful trading
- Part 2: Yield through active trading.
- Part 3: Limit risks – seize opportunities.
- Part 4: Through know-how to the trading idea.
- Part 5: Trading- from theory to practice.
This section of the Flatex academy contains a total of 29 video lessons taught by Flatex staff. All the videos are taught in German language. It is divided into 3 segments:
- Product videos: This consists of 7 videos introducing newbies to ETFs, Warrants, CFDs, Bonds, Stocks, Turbo certificates, mini-futures and factor-certificates.
- Platform videos: This section has 11 videos where Flatex experts teach how to use the trading platforms.
- Training: This also contains 11 videos where 2 experts teach how to trade the markets.
Flatex Review: Trading Instruments
The following instruments are available for trading online with Flatex:
- Over 70 Forex currency pairs including minor, major and exotic FX crosses
- 22 Indices
- Over 2,000 Stock CFDs from different exchanges
- 13 Commodities
- Over 60 Mutual Funds
- 860 ETFs
Flatex Review: Trading Accounts & Fees
Flatex provides services to individuals, joint accounts and corporate accounts.
- Forex account: This account is for trading currency pairs on the WebFiliale platform.
- CFD account: This account is used to trade CFDs. Cash and security account is for trading stocks, ETFs, funds and bonds. Clients trade on the Flatex trader 2.0 and on the WebFiliale platform. CFDs are charged at 0.05% of the trading volume. The minimum charge is €5.
Flatex charges commissions on most trades. The amount charged depends on the asset traded. For CFDs, Demo accounts are free and available with €50,000 virtual money for practice purposes.
As broker fees can vary and change, there may be additional fees that are not listed in this Flatex review. It is imperative to ensure that you check and understand all of the latest information before you open a Flatex broker account for online trading.
Flatex Review: Customer Service
The Flatex customer support team works from 8am to 10pm, Mondays to Fridays. A contact form is available on the contacts page of the website. Fill the form and a customer support representative will get back to you. The team can also be reached via email and telephone. On the social media, they are on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
Flatex Review: Deposit & Withdrawal
Bank Wire Transfer is the only method available to Flatex clients for both deposits and withdrawals. Generally, it takes between 3 to 7 bank working days for the whole process to complete. Payments are accepted in EUR currency.
Flatex Review: Account Opening
To open a new trading account, visit the website and click on ‘create account’ which can be found at the top of every webpage. A 3-page form displays.
Fill the form and enter your name, address, date of birth, bank account details and click ‘further’. On the next page, accept the declaration and click on ‘create account’. On the third and final page, verify your account using video verification or by using a POSTIDENT coupon. After verifications, the account is created, you can then make deposits, download platforms and commence trading.
Flatex Review: Conclusion
Flatex is an established investment firm, bank and broker that is popular in Germany. It is regulated by the BaFin and has also implemented other security measures to ensure a safe trading environment.
Multiple trading platforms are available depending on the trader’s choice of instruments and preferences. A comprehensive trading academy with eBook, training videos and webinars is available to all traders. The morning news and Wikifolio are services that can help clients with their trading strategy.
However, most of the available materials, trainings and forms are in German. The payment method is limited to bank transfers, with no online e-wallets, payment solutions or cryptocurrencies. The Flatex Trader 2.0 is not free and even other services like SMS alerts are also not free. They also do not offer the highly popular and user friendly MetaTrader platforms. We would consider using an alternative broker from our list of best trading brokers.
CFDs are complex instruments and, because of their leverage, are associated with the high risk of losing money quickly. 72.85% of retail investor accounts lose money when trading with this provider. You should consider whether you understand how CFDs work and whether you can afford to take the high risk of losing your money.